The IMA AZ Valley of the Sun Chapter is a chapter of the worldwide association of accountants and financial professionals working in business called the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA). We, like our global organization, are committed to helping you – and our more than 500 members (125,000+ members globally) – to expand your professional skills, better manage your organization, and enhance your career.
Founded in 1964 and 1969 respectively, the Phoenix and Scottsdale chapters merged in 2002 into the current AZ Valley of the Sun chapter. Our global organization, with more than 90 years serving the financial management and accounting profession, was founded in Buffalo, NY in 1919 as the National Association of Cost Accountants (NACA). The name was later changed to the National Association of Accountants (NAA) and in 1991, the organization name was again changed to the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), signifying the broader role as the association for accountants and financial professionals working inside organizations. Today, our global association is known by the shorthand – IMA. Like our global organization, our chapter vision is to be the leading resource for developing, certifying, connecting, and supporting the world’s best accountants and financial professions in business.
IMA’s mission is to provide a forum for research, practice development, education, knowledge sharing, and the advocacy of the highest ethical and best business practices in management accounting and finance. They do this by:
- Offering a rigorous, highly respected credential – the CMA – that recognizes and rewards expertise
- Building a peer network of professional relationships to share industry experience, access career opportunities, and make business contacts to last a lifetime.
- Providing extensive education programs to advance professional knowledge, increase leadership potential, and satisfy CPE requirements
- Giving a voice to the profession with insightful and timely journals and newsletters
- Promoting leading-edge research and industry best practices
- Advocating for the profession in a challenging regulatory environment.
IMA currently represents more than 125,000+ accountants and financial professional in business. The participation of each of our members makes the success of our mission possible.
I am truly excited about the opportunity to serve as our IMA Chapter President for the 2019-2020 year. Kendall did an awesome job last year, and I hope to continue on with her great legacy. I’d like to take a moment to highlight some of my higher-level goals for the 2019-2020 year:
- Bring “unaffiliated” IMA members in the Phoenix area to our IMA Valley of the Sun Chapter. I was an “unaffiliated” member for over five years. Most of that time, I didn’t even know we had chapters. Once I learned about the chapters, it took me a while to learn about our chapter. When I finally joined our local chapter, it made a great difference in my life both professionally and socially.
- Increase student involvement and have our students become full-time members upon graduation. The students are our future and bring new and diverse ideas.
- Bring more two hour credit opportunities to our NetTech Sessions. We all live busy lives, and it works great to be able to knock out two hours of our certification credits whenever possible.
- Increase attendance at our monthly NetTech Sessions. Not only are the sessions educational, they can be a great time to meet new people. Two of my favorites were Goodwill and the Super Bowl Committee.
I would like to leave you with the IMA Mission Statement:
“IMA’s mission is to provide a forum for research, practice development, education, knowledge sharing, and advocacy of the highest ethical and best business practices in management accounting and finance.”
Please join us as we continue to develop today’s accounting and financial professionals that make a difference in Greater Phoenix and beyond!
I look forward to serving you,
Chapter President 2019-20